Saturday, January 3, 2009

Excuse me, Google, but....DUH!

Okay, I get that Google is dealing with millions of documents at breakneck pace, with workers who are not lawyers. But can we get just one rulke in writing and post it on everyone's monitor?

IF IT'S PUBLISHED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, IT'S PUBLIC DOMAIN. EVEN WHILE BUSH IS STILL IN OFFICE.

I just came across this record, and stopped in disbelief. I know there's a budget crisis, I know that federal agencies are making some very secretive and strange deals (see the Smithsonian/cable deal), but restricting content by falsely declaring an unconstitutional copyright ought to be actionable.

Congressional Record: Proceedings and Debates of the ... Congress

Congressional Record: Proceedings and Debates of the ... Congress‎
by United States Congress - Law - 1933
[ Sorry, this page's content is restricted ]
Snippet view - About this book - Add to my library - More editions

Come on guys. I understand that you don't have time to investigate the status of works that should be PD by date, but might have been restored under some later amendment, though I don't understand why you would scan works in copyright under a claim of fair use and restrict PD.

But what possible challenge to fair use could there be in the Congressional Record? How could a corporate body even establish standing to the public record?

Guys, they're our laws, and our congress. Yours too, of course, but not just yours. So can we just write an algorithm that says "This is PD, and we're sorry, we really goofed" for the Record?

No comments: